Since the introduction of the Cadillac Northstar engine they have been plagued with cooling system vapor locking problems and head gasket failure! Which comes first. who knows, we see customers with vehicles that have less than 50,000 miles that have been babied, then we see vehicles that have 150,000 hard driven city miles that have never had a problem ( Until 150,000 miles )
We definitely know after assisting in repairing thousands of these vehicles, the failure is a progression.
- Coolant loss for no apparent reason ( No visible leaks etc )
- Vehicle starts overheating (Typically starting with sporadic spikes and drops in temperature with the vehicle under a load on the Freeway or going uphill! Then gradually getting worse until it overheats constantly no matter what type of driving )
- Frustrated you take your beloved Cadillac to the mechanic and the following happens!
- They correctly diagnose that the cooling system is not circulating correctly! There is no coolant flowing through the radiator.
- They start replacing parts in hopes of repairing the problem.
- Replace Thermostat and vehicle still overheats!
- Replace Water Pump and vehicle still overheats!
- Finally in the succession of Trial and Error it surely must be the radiator RIGHT! Replace the radiator and it STILL OVERHEATS!
With everything in the cooling system replaced and nothing else to charge you for they diagnose a Blown Head Gasket and tell you that you need a New Engine! At this point with the replacement cost of an engine between $5000.00 and $10,000.00 your faced with spending more than the vehicles worth or selling it for scrap!